Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Pin It

Widgets

Breastfeeding & (BLACK) Feminism at the UNC

On Tuesday I found out my abstract was accepted for next year's Breastfeeding and Feminism Symposia at the University of North Carolina, It Takes A Village To Support A Nursing Mom and I'm pretty excited about it. I'd been asked by a couple of people if I heard anything back from the board members. I hadn't. But there was a good reason, of course -- they lost my submission. I knew something was up when I didn't hear anything from them -- AT ALL, on whether I was chosen or not, so I contacted the committee and eventually found out what happened. Oopsie. No big deal, though they were very apologetic and told me after some digging they located it and sent it off to the powers that be for consideration, and after a few days got back to me with the news.

I have to be honest that a 20 minute presentation station to talk about Black Feminism seems a bit slim. I'm thinking at least a good two or three hours would be more up my alley to possibly touch the tip of the ice *smile* but I guess I'll just have to make do. I'm totally kidding, btw. I don't like public speaking that much.

I'll be presenting on viewing breastfeeding advocacy through a Black Feminist framework, and offering ways to engage more community. I'm really glad about this whole thing and can't wait to get started planning.

I created this 'Chip In' to help offset the various charges associated with presenting, and that will allow me to continue this important work. Thank you in advance for any consideration.