Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pin It

Widgets

University of North Carolina's 8th Breastfeeding and Feminism Symposia

I didn't end up sending in an abstract to speak at last year's event, but someone just shared the Save The Date flyer with me for the UNC's Breastfeeding and Feminism Symposia for 2013. Next year's theme is: "It Takes A Village: The role of the greater community in inspiring and empowering women to breastfeed." I don't think I really have to go into much detail at all about this one – as far as if I'm interested or not. And if you know me or have kept up with this blog you'll know this is the undercurrent of all of my work – on inclusion and community, and getting more people involved. So of course I'd be thrilled to share my ideas.

I don't want to jump to conclusions and all, but I do wonder about the audience, though, and who'll be reviewing the submissions and picking and choosing – especially when I look on the website and middle-aged white women are representatives of the conference, and they along with older white men symbolize the institute. And feminism – the large-scale critique of the structure to eradicate domination directed at female populations, has always focused on the experiences of white women. That is undeniable. This is the same with the lot of so-called breastfeeding advocates who fail to put, especially race at the forefront. So it has me thinking. Breastfeeding advocacy needs more input from feminists of color. I am so there! Well, at least I'm responding to the Call for Papers this time.