Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Pin It

Widgets

PEBL Courses at Bastyr University

The Simkin Center for Allied Birth Vocations -- formerly Seattle School of Midwifery, offers PEBL (Professional Education in Breastfeeding and Lactation) courses, which are taught by Certified Lactation Consultants, gives you credit towards that same goal -- the first 45 hours, and after the 5-day successful completion of the course a Certified Lactation Educator certificate.

I had been going back and forth with the idea of to whether I really wanted to become an IBCLC or not, and was giving the Certified Lactation Counselor a lot of thought and talked to a couple of people about it and -- one who told me, here on the West Coast, for a reason I have not confirmed or completely understand either, Certified Lactation Educator (CLE) courses are generally offered.

I had the awesome privilege of meeting with the director of the school last week when I went to highlight the positive aspects of the lactation station for the Business Case for Breastfeeding project I've been working on, and she answered some questions I had and told me a bit more about the program. And I can say I am definitely can see myself signing up, but the course is expensive! Which is why I am applying for a scholarship through the school, to help with tuition, one that, if chosen, it will deduct between $100.00 and $400.00 off of the almost 900 dollar tuition yes, yikes-- so please keep your fingers crossed for me. Other than that, I am really excited about the classes, and hope to sign up for the session in June.