Pages

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pin It

Widgets

The Breastfeeding Coalition of Washington: I'm In!

I met with a representative from the Breastfeeding Coalition of Washington (BCW) yesterday! Finally! I say finally because we've been trying to meet for months, without success. So this was a great transition directly after the Target nurse-in, and over a hot cup of tea, discussed the coalition, public health, advocacy, and other topics. And I love the pen she gave me!




 Before the meeting's end I was made a member of this coalition and was overjoyed at the moment! This is my second coalition, the first being the Indiana Black Breastfeeding Coalition (IBBC), which I am still thrilled to be a part of.

I was asked a question yesterday during this meeting that has been in my mind since. "What is the answer to ending disparities?" Among communities Of Color, which is the reason I'm involved in this arena. I would love to have the answer to this one, and the only thing I could think of so far is to promote literacy and critical thinking, which I believe is a start to being able to make truly informed decisions. Of course it goes deeper than that, and we must take into consideration other factors as well -- racism, sexism, classism, which all work together, and must ensure we are not strictly making these issues for women to deal with. I don't have all of the answers.

I believe coalitions are such a great way to bring individuals and groups together to see the differences also, while recognizing we are inevitably working towards a common goal, while listening to and understanding each and learning the culture of these groups. I get more and more excited at the thought. I anticipate working with others.