Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Pin It

Widgets

The Black Woman's Guide to BREASTFEEDING (Video)

The Black Woman's Guide to BREASTFEEDING: The Difinitive Guide to Nursing for African American Mothers, just showed up in the mail about an hour ago. I'm so excited! I have been waiting for it for over one week, and now I can finally start reading -- well, I actually already read the DedicationLetter to the Reader and Introduction.

I am so excited to have my very first book about Black women breastfeeding by a Black woman. Before I ordered this text I read a few reviews and did some searching and was very excited about those reviews, and I just happened to stumble upon a video by the woman who wrote the book, Katherine Barber, on YouTube. Turns out, not only did she write this text, but she is also the founder of the African American Breastfeeding Alliance (AABA). Who knew?

I love that it deals exclusively with the lives of Black women, with a realization that we are affected differently and face different barriers and challenges -- things many people outside of our community (and even some inside) sometimes just do not understand.

I really love the way this book is dedicated to me. I'm so flattered and I've never even met her. But it's true --  naming people in the Dedication she wrote: 'To anyone out there supporting Black women in their breastfeeding experience.' That would be me!



     





Trade Books for Free - PaperBack Swap.



No comments:

Post a Comment